Today’s guest is Alex Street, from EMCOR UK a world leading Facilities Management Company. EMCOR are the epitome of high standards, in fact EMCOR are certified to 8, yes 8 ISO Standards, which is pretty impressive. Though we are just going to focus on one in particular that is extremely topical at the moment – Business Continuity. Mel first met Alex when EMCOR engaged in our services to implement the Information Security standard and also ISO 22301 the business continuity standard 4 years ago. The company has gone from strength to strength over the years, so Alex is joining us today to discuss ISO 22301 and how the system is helping them to not just survive, but thrive during these difficult times.
- EMCOR adopted the early BS 25999 and later migrated to ISO 22301 after drive from customers as well as natural progression to the updated version
- Recognized the benefits of having a robust Business Continuity Management system in place
- Went through the process of a Gap Analysis and Business Impact Analysis to identify where the system needed to be addressed and built on. This led to the review of objectives and business continuity plans in accordance with 22301’s more detailed requirements.
- A key focus should be training and awareness for all staff once plans have been agreed – so that everyone knows what their role is in any given situation.
- Keep up with testing and auditing of the Business Continuity plans to ensure they run smoothly and are still applicable in execution
- EMCOR had been monitoring the COVID-19 situation as early as December and since February 2020 – had been having meetings with Executive teams (Gold and Silver) to discuss next steps. Thanks to ISO 22301, they’d already had tested processes in place for moving towards remote working.
- A consistent approach to all areas of Operation is key – from ground level to executive
- Communication and collaboration with supply chain and customers – ask them if you could be doing anything more to help
- Support your own supply chain – Taking the current situation into account, everyone is in the same boat so help where you can
- It can take a live incident to fully test a Business Continuity plan – take lessons learned from live events forward. Actively work to continually improve your system.
- Alex’s helpful tip: ‘Don’t get caught out’ – The standard is there to help but you need to put the work and effort in to make it work for you. ‘The benefits far outweigh the risks of not having an effective Business continuity management system in place’
To Learn more about EMCOR, visit their website HERE
Free standards available from BSI HERE
Need assistance with ISO 22301? We’d be happy to help
We also have an Introduction to ISO 22301 E-learning course available HERE. Use discount code: ISO2230110 for 10% until the end of July 2020.
We’d love to hear your views and comments about the ISO Show, here’s how:
- Share the ISO Show on twitter or Linkedin
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or Soundcloud. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one.
Subscribe to keep up-to-date with our latest episodes: